You are here:
Pre- and Postnatal Programming of Life-span Development
- Pre-and Postnatal Programming of Brain Development
- Transgenerational Transmission of Early Life Stress
- Effects of Maternal Stress on Fetal Development and Health and Disease across the Lifespan
- Developmental Origins of Infant and Adult Health and Disease
- Maternal-placental-fetal Endocrinology and the Biology of the Stress Response in Pregnancy
- Gene-environment Interactions in Human Fetal and Infant Development
- Influence of Sociodemographic and Psychosocial Factors and Health Behaviors on Reproductive and Developmental Health Outcomes
- Ecological Momentary Assessment Methodologies and Applications in Human Pregnancy
- Child Developmental and Health Outcomes
- Early Life Determinants of Successful Aging
- Buss C, Davis EP, Shahbaba B, Pruessner JC, Head K, Sandman CA. Maternal Cortisol over the Course of Pregnancy and Subsequent Child Amygdala Volume and Affective Problems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2012; 09(20):E1312-9.
- Buss C, Entringer S, Moog N, Toepfer P, Fair DA, Simhan HN, Heim CM, Wadhwa PD. Intergenerational transmission of maternal childhood maltreatment exposure: implications for fetal brain development. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2017; 56(5):373-82.
- Graham AM, Rasmussen JM, Rudolph MD, Demeter DV, Heim CM, Gilmore JH, Styner M, Entringer S, Wadhwa PD, Fair DA, Buss C. Maternal Systemic Interleukin-6 During Pregnancy is Associated with Newborn Amygdala Phenotypes and Subsequent Behavior at 2-years-of-age. Biological Psychiatry, 2018; 83(2):109-119.
- Rudolph MD, Graham AM, Feczko E, Miranda-Dominguez O, Rasmussen J, Nardos R, Entringer S, Wadhwa PD, Buss C, Fair DA. Maternal IL-6 during Pregnancy Can Be Estimated From Newborn Brain Connectivity and Predicts Future Working Memory in Offspring. Nature Neuroscience, 2018; 21(5):765-772.
- Moog NK, Entringer S, Rasmussen JM, Styner M, Gilmore KH, Kathmann M, Heim CM, Wadhwa PD, Buss C. Intergenerational effect of maternal exposure to childhood trauma on newborn brain anatomy. Biological Psychiatry, 2018; 83(2):120-127.
- Rasmussen JM, Graham AM, Rudolph MD, Demeter DV, Heim CM, Gilmore JH, Styner M, Entringer S, Wadhwa PD, Fair DA, Buss C. Maternal Systemic Interleukin-6 During Pregnancy is Associated with Variation in Frontolimbic White Matter and Cognitive Development in Early Life. Neuroimage, 2019; 185:825-835.
- Graham AM, Rasmussen JM, Entringer S, Ward EB, Rudolph MD, Gilmore JH, Styner M, Wadhwa PD, Fair DA, Buss C. Maternal Cortisol Concentrations During Pregnancy and Sex Specific Associations with Neonatal Amygdala Connectivity and Emerging Internalizing Behaviors. Biological Psychiatry, 2019; 85(2): 172-181.
- Moog NK, Nolvi S, Kleih TS, Styner M, Gilmore JH, Rasmussen JM, Heim CM, Entringer S, Wadhwa PD, Buss C. Prospective Association of Maternal Psychosocial Stress in Pregnancy with Newborn Hippocampal Volume and Implications for Infant Social-emotional Development. Neurobiology of Stress, 2021; 15:100368.
- Kleih T, Entringer S, Scholaske L, Kathmann N, DePunder K, Heim CM, Wadhwa PD, Buss C. Exposure to Childhood Maltreatment and Systemic Inflammation across Pregnancy: the Moderating Role of Depressive Symptomatology. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2022; 101:397-409.
- Bauman M, Buss C. Maternal Pro-inflammatory Processes and Fetal Neurodevelopment: Integrating Clinical and Preclinical Research Approaches and Identifying Knowledge Gaps that Warrant Future Collaboration. Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging, 2022; 7(5):444-446.
- Buss C, Genuneit J. How many are too much? Clinical and Epidemiological Considerations for the Era of Poly-pre- and Postnatal Exposures Relevant for the Developing Brain. Biological Psychiatry, 2022, S0006-3223(22)01374-9.
- Rasmussen JM, Thompson PM, Gyllenhammer LE, Lindsay KL, O’Connor TG, Koletzko B, Entringer S, Wadhwa PD, Buss C. Maternal Free Fatty Acid Concentration During Pregnancy is Associated with Newborn Hypothalamic Microstructure in Humans. Obesity, 2022; 30(7):1462-1471.
- Rasmussen JM, Tuulari JJ, Nolvi S, Lavonius M, Merisaari H, Karlsson L, Entringer S, Wadhwa PD, Karlsson H, Buss C. Maternal Pre-pregnancy Body Mass Index is Associated with Newborn Offspring Hypothalamic Mean Diffusivity: A Prospective Dual-Cohort Study. BMC Medicine (in press).
- Moog NK, Cummings PD, Jackson KL, Aschner JL, Barrett ES, Bastain TM, Blackwell CK, Enlow MB, Breton CV, Bush NR, Deoni SCL, Duarte CS, Ferrara A, Grant TL, Hipwell AE, Jones K, Leve LD, Lovinsky-Desir S, Miller RK, Monk C, Oken E, Posner J, Schmidt RJ, Wright RJ, Entringer S, Simhan HN, Wadhwa PD, O’Connor TG, Musci RJ, Buss C. Intergenerational transmission of the effects of maternal exposure to childhood maltreatment in the USA: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Public Health, 2023; 8: e226–37.
Honors and Awards:
- 2017: Elected Member, Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research (ABMR)
- 2015: Curt Richter Award of the International Society for Psychoneuroendocrinology (ISPNE) (“in recognition of distinguished early to mid career scientific contributions at the interface of health-related biological and psychological processes”)
Vita Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Claudia Buß
Studied Psychology at the University of Trier, Germany and completed her PhD in Psychobiology at the University of Trier and at McGill University in Montreal, Canada (2006).
Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at the University of California Irvine, USA. 2010-2012 Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of California Irvine, USA.
2013-2019 W2-Professor, since 2019 W3-Professor in the Institute of Medical Psychology at the Charité.
Since 2013 Adjunct faculty member in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of California Irvine, USA (2013-2016 Adjunct Assistant Professor, 2016-2022 Adjunct Associate Professor, since 2022 Adjunct Professor).
Functions / offices
- Professor, Institute of Medical Psychology,
Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of California Irvine, USA
- Faculty Member, Berlin School of Mind & Brain, Berlin, Germany
- Faculty Member, Einstein Center for Neurosciences, Berlin, Germany